The screen of a laptop is one of the most essential aspects of the device because of its direct influence on the user’s experience and productivity. However, many people need to be aware of how to precisely measure the screen size on their laptops.
This lack of knowledge can create challenges when purchasing accessories like screen protectors or replacement parts. The good news is that measuring the screen size on your laptop is a straightforward process that can be completed with just a few easy steps.
You will be able to make the most of your device if you are familiar with the proper technique for measuring the screen on your laptop. This will allow you to acquire accessories in the appropriate size and maximize the use of your device.
In this blog, we will walk you through the process of measuring the screen size on your laptop, including the instruments you will require and the actions you will need to take.
You can also check our blog post on the best laptops for Zoom.
This blog will equip you with the knowledge you need to precisely measure your laptop screen, whether you want to replace the screen on your laptop, protect it with a screen guard, or are simply interested in the size of your display.
How To Measure Laptop Screen Size
You will need a measuring tape or a ruler to determine the screen size on a laptop:
- Put the lid of your laptop computer back on and use either inches or centimeters to determine the distance between the top left corner of the screen and the bottom right corner.
- This is the diagonal distance that can be measured across the screen.
- You can also measure the screen’s width and height in centimeters or inches.
- The screen’s width is measured from the left edge to the right edge, while the screen’s height is measured in the distance from the top edge to the bottom edge.
Typically, the length of a diagonal line drawn from one corner of the screen to the opposite corner determines the screen size on a laptop. Specific models have displays larger or smaller than the typical range, 11 inches to 17 inches diagonally. However, the typical range is 11 inches to 17 inches.
How To Find Out Your Laptop Screen Size Without Measuring
There are a few different methods you may use to determine the size of the screen on your laptop without having to measure it:
- Check out the webpage of the laptop’s manufacturer: Find your laptop’s model on its manufacturer’s website, and then check out the technical specs. There should be a mention of the screen size there.
- Check the instructions provided with your laptop: If you still have the packaging or the papers that your laptop came in when you bought it, you should be able to find the specified screen size.
- Check the following on your laptop: When using Windows, right-clicking the desktop and selecting “Display settings” or “Screen resolution” should bring up a list that includes the screen size.
- On a Mac, navigate to the Apple menu, choose “About This Mac,” and then select “Displays.”
- Utilize a tool that provides information about the system. Numerous free online tools may provide specific information about your laptop, including screen size.
- Speccy, HWiNFO, and CPU-Z are a few examples of such programs.
- Compare the size of your laptop to a known dimension. If you have a ruler or a measuring tape on hand, you can compare the size of your laptop to a known dimension, such as the dimensions of a typical sheet of paper, which are 8.5 inches by 11 inches.
- This might give you a general idea of the screen size on your laptop.
How To Measure Laptop Screen Size Online
The following are the actions that need to be taken to measure the screen size of a laptop computer online accurately:
Examine the technical requirements:
Checking the manufacturer’s published specifications is the simplest and most reliable way to establish the dimensions of the display on your portable computer.
In most cases, this information can be located on the website of the laptop’s manufacturer or the product page of the website from which you purchased the laptop.
Take readings from the screen:
You can measure the screen independently if you cannot access the specifications. You will need a ruler or a tape measure to complete this task.
Beginning in one of the screen’s corners, move diagonally across the surface until you reach the opposing corner. Be sure that you are only measuring the screen and not the bezel, which is the frame that surrounds the screen.
Utilize a tool available online:
There are also a variety of programs that can be found online that will assist you in determining the screen size of your laptop. These tools often request that you provide the model number or screen dimensions before providing the screen size in either inches or centimeters.
Be aware that while determining the screen size, you should only measure the screen area visible to the user. You should not include the screen’s bezel or any other components not part of the screen in your measurement.
You can also check our blog post on how to make a laptop faster.
How To Measure A Laptop Screen In Inches
The uncomplicated process of calculating the screen size of a laptop in inches requires a measuring tape or ruler as the only piece of equipment necessary to complete the work.
The following is a list of the steps that can be taken to measure the screen of a laptop computer accurately:
- Put your laptop into sleep mode, then ensure the lid is completely shut.
- Please find out the screen’s diagonal measurement and write it down. This is the horizontal distance, measured in a straight line, extending from one corner of the screen to the opposite corner.
- It is measured from the top left corner to the bottom right corner.
- Using the ruler or tape measure, start your measurement at one corner of the screen, then work across the screen until you reach the other corner.
- The inch markings on the measuring tape or the ruler should be used to take the measurement. You will be able to establish the size of the screen on your laptop in terms of inches after you have this measurement.
It is essential to keep in mind that when you are measuring the screen, you should pay attention to the fact that you should only measure the portion of the screen that is now visible to the user.
It would be best to exclude the screen’s bezel or the frame surrounding it in your measurement. Instead, could you focus on the actual screen itself?
The display screen is surrounded by a frame called the bezel, which can be constructed of plastic or metal. The bezel size is not considered when deciding the display screen size.
After calculating the screen size in inches, you may use this information to compare your laptop to other portable computing devices or to investigate the capabilities and features of your laptop by using the Internet.
Knowing the dimensions of your laptop’s screen before shopping for a protective case or a new screen is often helpful, especially if you plan to replace the screen.
You must measure the screen of your laptop to purchase a new screen for your computer or to select a bag that is the suitable size for your computer. This can be done by placing a measuring tape over your laptop’s screen.
To accurately determine the size of a laptop screen, measuring the diagonal distance that extends from the top left corner of the viewable screen area to the bottom right corner of the screen is necessary.
This characteristic is often measured using the inch as the standard unit of measurement. The aspect ratio of the screen, commonly known as the ratio of the width to the height of the display, is something else you ought to consider.
If you follow these steps, you can obtain an accurate measurement of the screen size on your laptop. This information will also assist you in selecting the necessary accessories or replacement parts for your device.